Sunday, November 10, 2013

The African Queen

The African Queen
Dir. John Huston, 1951

I read an abridged version of the book when I was 10 or so I think, and always wanted to see the movie.

I was not totally disappointed, although I think far too much has been made of it and I would not rate it as a classic.  Bogart is interesting for playing against type, and the film takes a truly dark turn toward the end when all seems lost.

The casual racism in the beginning, when Bogart throws a half-finished cigar to the ground behind him, knowing full well that it will lead to a scrambling of half-naked black savages diving and fighting to grab it, is simply unpardonable, except sadly, it probably comes straight from the book by C. S. Forester (who wrote the Horatio Hornblower series of books that I also immensely enjoyed).

Nov 2013
3*

No comments:

Post a Comment